Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quote of the Day

"To love for the sake of being loved is human, but to love for the sake of loving is angelic."
Alphonse de Lamartine

I have an ex-fiance. The reason he's my ex is because there came a day when I realized the only reason I loved him was because he loved me. I loved being loved, not him. I knew it wasn't fair to either of us, and eventually our relationship would probably fall apart because of this, so we split ways. I still look back from time to time, and wonder if I made a mistake, if I should have stayed. See it's easy to feel love when you are loved. I miss those feelings. But today I've had the opportunity to love for the sake of love. Finally I can love someone for them, instead of for what they bring me. With this experience I realize the beauty of loving  for the sake of loving. I in no way think I'm angelic. But I know for a fact that loving for the sake of loving is a spiritual experience. It's what my God does for me, and what he wants me to do for others. While I'm certainly not perfect at loving for the sake of love itself, I know when I do, I get closer to my God.

1 comment: